Empty Ester, An Accident in Progress

Empty Ester lost her head, once a prominent fixture on her shoulders, air lingers there instead. She blamed the loss on her stubborn boss who demanded too much of her vapid thoughts.

“Find me the ‘Nail’ file,” he had said to her. “It’s the one after “O” called ‘Oblivious.'”

She should have known not to ponder the contents of “Oblivious,” the mere thought of which, caused her head to explode.

English: Detonation of explosives.

English: Detonation of explosives. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Double linking:

I’m participating in Lillie McFerrin’s weekly Five Sentence Fiction challenge. This week’s prompt – Empty.

NewFSFBadge-11

I’ve also linked up to Silly Sunday, hosted by Rhonda of Laugh-Quotes.
silly-sunday-badge-250-transparent-150x150Enhanced by Zemanta
Lauren tagged this post with: Read 522 articles by

1. Delightful word play! I think I have encountered some of Ester’s kin in the workplace :-)
    Josie Two Shoes invites you to read Summer SecretMy Profile

2. K R Smith

Yes, you did have fun with the words on this powst – made it very interesting to read. And when I first started reading it, it almost sounded like a poem, and this popped into my head (with apologies):

Empty Ester skipped semester
    Hanging around with the blokes,
    And so Empty Ester became a great jester
    Not knowing that she was the joke.

K R Smith invites you to read Old Tree SketchMy Profile

3. This was so much fun to read and reminded me of the nick name my hubby used for me once upon a time ‘Bubble head’. An excellent take on the prompt done in a very original way. x
    Lizzie Koch invites you to read Dark! I dig.

UttleyMy Profile

4. Very creative little story!
    McGuffy Ann Morris invites you to read A Special Guest Post: BillMy Profile

5. I see poor “Empty Esters” everywhere I go these days — thankful to have a job, but dead inside. I agree with the other commenter who said he’d thought this was going to be a poem. It definitely has a rhythm to it. Fun and clever, Lauren.
    injaynesworld invites you to read injaynesworld “The Best Laid Plans…”My Profile

6. Nicky says:

You know, I used to work with Ester and often wondered what happened to her. Now I know. I really loved the cadence to this piece, Lauren. It’s almost musical. Nicely done.
    Nicky invites you to read 28 Days, 28 Prompts and 25 BloggersMy Profile

7. Phil

Very nice play on words. Witty!

8. Sarah Mac says:

Very clever and very witty (sorry, I can’t think of anything original to say, everyone beat me to it! ;)
    Sarah Mac invites you to read A Photo For FridayMy Profile

9. I get the sense of Ester being an airhead [dreamer], being in a world of her own. Delightful FSF
    Robin Leigh Morgan invites you to read FIVE SENTENCE FICTION – EmptyMy Profile

10. Comedy Plus

I know her. Yes I do. Okay I know more than one. Very well done.

Have a terrific Silly Sunday. :)
    Comedy Plus invites you to read Silly Sunday #71My Profile

11. June O'Hara

There’s a lot to be said for oblivion, if you ask me. It certainly has its place.

You’re really good at this stuff.
    June O’Hara invites you to read My Father’s Daughter, The PopeMy Profile

12. Karen Woodham from Blazing Minds

I love this Lauren, so much passion in such a short sequence of paragraphs, awesome stuff, just awesome ;)
    Karen Woodham invites you to read SciFi Weekender 2013 Part One: Early Bird ArrivalMy Profile

13. Rhonda

Love the little story. Thanks for linking up. Sorry I am so late in getting here :)
    Rhonda invites you to read Swim Between the Flags for Wordless Wednesday *LinkyMy Profile

14. Phil

You are just too witty for me! Great writing off the cuff!

Phil

FYI – for some reason Comment Luv won’t seem to accept any of my blog links and an error message keeps popping up. It happens at work and home computers.

• Lauren

Thanks Phil!

I think your comment settings are wrong. Under CommentLuv uncheck: Allow jetpack comments to be activated

If that’s not the issue:

In WordPress Dashboard, under Settings, Discussion Settings, uncheck: Users must be registered and logged in to comment.

Otherwise, sign in to the CommentLuv website and open a ticket.
      Lauren invites you to read Empty Ester, An Accident in ProgressMy Profile

15. Ahh!! This is fantastic :) The word play throughout was perfection!

16. As usual, you did a GREAT job with the prompt! LOVED IT!
    meleah rebeccah invites you to read What’s In Your Bag?My Profile