I Have a Linking Problem

My name is Lauren and I’m a 404-aholic.

I first realized I had a linking problem when Mike from We Work for Cheese told me about a defective link in the post, Canadians Blamed for Blast of Frigid Air or is that Frigidaire?

I accidentally added an “http” at the end of the address, which resulted in a “404 not found.”

Pfft!  Bloody, “oops…404 error.”

Post Purgatory

Don’t pity me or other 404-aholics like me, those who may be afraid to admit they have a problem, afraid that people will pity their stupidity.

Not me!

So, I set Mike’s broken link in a cast and continued blogging and linking and falling asleep on my desk when writing late at night.

Sleep is optimum blogging time for me. I rarely get into trouble during a REM cycle, except for an occasional dust up with a character in a dream. Like Nancy in “Nightmare on Elm Street,” I never get bludgeoned to death or end up duct taped to an exploding chair.

Face it. Shit happens at night in our dreams and during the day in real life.

This is real life. Right? Pinch me!

A month later, online and awake again, another linking slip-up in a post, a review of Luke Armstrong’s book, How We Are Human.

While reviewing the post after publishing it – like buying a car before test driving it – I noticed I had omitted a word from a sentence and had included a moldy link to Luke’s website: lukespartacus.com. I discovered this after I clicked on the link and got a 404 page error.

Another day.  Another oops…404 error.

At that point, I entered a linking program with Dr. Drew, where I work on abstaining from one last hit of HTML.

Sadly, I fear I will never be able to completely give up linking, as it is inherent in what I do.

Last week, I went on a linking bender, failed an HTML webalyzer test and lost my browsing license. Going forward, I think I’ll be okay if I link responsibly and never, ever link while driving.

Do you have a linking problem?

I’m participating in Silly Sunday, hosted by Rhonda of Laugh-Quotes.

silly-sunday-badge-250-transparent-150x150

1. Bryan

Tried to comment earlier and also got an error, not a 404 but still bad. “Destination unknown” or some such nonsense.
    Bryan invites you to read Kacey Musgraves – Merry Go ‘RoundMy Profile

2. Bryan

Oh, and no, I don’t have a linking problem…well, not today, knock on wood. Bluehost is working today, but we’ll see about tomorrow. 😉 <– I hope 😉
    Bryan invites you to read Kacey Musgraves – Merry Go ‘RoundMy Profile

3. Oh dear. I thought for sure this post was about a licking problem. I was tingling with excitement to hear about your tongue.

Wait. That just doesn’t sound right.

Happy Linking!
    ReformingGeek invites you to read Drinking Establishment ClosesMy Profile

• Lauren says:

That would be my dog. He has a licking problem. I, however, have a linking problem. Though, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a linking problem, too.

4. June O'Hara

“I will never make excuses for my dysfunction, which is clearly due to an HTML disability, the root of the problem traced to my family history and an anomaly in the linking gene.” I’m so taken with that sentence. I think I’ve read it 6 times now.

Embrace your dysfunction, Lauren. It’s funny and endearing as hell.
    June O’Hara invites you to read I Wouldn’t Kick Obama Out of BedMy Profile

5. Comedy Plus

I’m aware that you have a linking problem. Bwahahahahahahaha. I’ll put you in over at my place okay?

Have a terrific Silly Sunday. 🙂
    Comedy Plus invites you to read Silly Sunday #70My Profile

6. If it makes you feel any better – I’ve done that, countless times too!
    meleah rebeccah invites you to read Happy 20th Anniversary, Mom and Dad!My Profile

7. Cherelynn

Oh it’s Sunday-lovely, lovely Sunday! Ha ha! Thanks for the laugh out loud funnies!

Hope this finds you enjoying some downtime and making memories with loved ones!

P.S. I’m doing a free webinar for beauty consultants, if you know an Avon, Arbonne or MaryKay lady who could use more sales and bridal clients, would you share this link? Thanks!
    Visit http://makeupuniversity.blogspot.com/2013/02/free-webinar-how-to-build-your-bridal_23.html

Ciao ciao for now!
    Cherelynn
    Makeup University
    Cherelynn invites you to read Hormonal skin aging and how to fix it with MuradMy Profile

8. Lisa

I’ve done that before too Lauren, not quite like that but I had issues when I converted from blogger to WordPress, many broken links that drove me mad. I may still have a few – I try to go back and update from time to time. I guess that makes me a 404-aholic too!
    Lisa invites you to read eBook Rough and High Waves to CompletionMy Profile

9. mike

Who knew that my little heads-up would inspire a post? All I can say is, thank god for Webmaster tools 😉
    mike invites you to read AbsurdMy Profile

10. Phil

I have been adding links into certain blog posts and now you worry me with this? Oh no! No I have to go back and click on all the links to see if they work.

Damn you Lauren! Now I need a drink and it’s only lunch time!

11. Miti Chauhan says:

I have similar kind of problem and whenever I tried to linking got failed or some error occured. After reading your wonderful stuff,really got so much help.Thank you so much for this wonderful post.